The most awesome thing about a high-end leather wallet is that it looks better as it gets older. Regular use keeps your leather wallets soft and supple, and allows the natural grain and colors to come through.
But leather does not reach that higher plateau of awesomeness all by itself – you have to nurture that rich, expensive look of your leather wallet through regular care.
Good care starts the first time you use your wallet. Leather always requires a break-in period where you loosen up the cardholders and center pockets of the wallet. Most wallets eventually work best with two to three cards in each pocket but you may have to stretch the pockets slowly before you can fill your new wallet completely.
A Few Tips for Basic Leather Wallet Care
- Keep in mind that leather stretches out but never back in, so don't cram all your cash and every card you own in it at once – fill it with just enough cash to flash and leave the rest of your stash at home.
- If your leather wallet gets too dry, rub a light leather dressing or cream onto it. Choose a natural, colorless product for best results. Never use household cleaners.
- Do not wrap a men’s leather wallet, or any nice piece of leather for that matter, in plastic. Leather needs to breathe or else it will develop nasty mildew that will ruin your wallet. For best results, use your wallet every day.
- Keep your wallet away from makeup, food, and other oil-based products. Leather wallets are not machine washable and they do not do well in the dryer either.
Emergency Care for Leather Wallets
- Use a cloth dampened with plain water to wipe dirt, debris, or liquid spills from your wallet. Do not apply any soaps or cleansers, as chemicals can be tougher to get out of leather than dirt.
- If you get your wallet sopping wet, let it dry at room temperature. Do not use a hairdryer, hang it over a heater, or toss it next to a campfire – excessive heat changes the chemical structure of leather to make your expensive wallet look like a fat, old piece of beef jerky once it is dry. Remember: keep your Slim Wallets slim by keeping your Cool Wallets cool.
- A wallet tends to stretch or become lopsided when wet then it will keep whatever warped shape it was in when you dried it. Massage and mash a wet wallet into its original shape throughout the drying process.
A leather wallet should last years, if not decades, with proper use and care. Tell the world you take good care of your money with a well-maintained leather wallet.